Why you need them and how they can help with your attribution.
Apple’s App Clips are a smaller, temporary version of an app that can be downloaded and launched seamlessly from an external link without any user interaction or prompt. They function as a lightweight version of an app to perform a specific task, and allow the user to eventually download the full app.
For example, a coffee brand creates an App Clip for potential users to order a coffee without using the full app. The user can later use the App Clip again or download the full app.
What are the App Clip characteristics and restrictions?
- Must be less than 10 MB in size
- Only one app can be associated with an App Clip at a time
- Deployed via Universal Links
- Downloaded and launched immediately with no prompt
- The device OS decides how long an App Clip remains on the device
- No IDFA or IDFV is available within App Clips
Will Kochava have a separate SDK build specifically for App Clips?
The Kochava iOS SDK is capable of performing nearly all of the same actions and functionality as it would in a normal iOS app and is used in the same way by the developer. A separate App Clip SDK is not necessary; the existing SDK can be used as-is within an App Clip.
How App Clips benefit attribution
App Clips are launched via a Universal Link (deep link). Leveraging SmartLinksTM, customers can host their Universal Links with Kochava. When a Kochava Universal Link launches an App Clip, the Kochava SDK is initialized and can perform functions that allow for deterministic attribution in the following scenarios:
- Match any App Clip activity back to the originating click
- Match a full app install to the App Clip ‘download full app’ interaction
Deferred deep linking via an App Clip
If the app is already installed, the app will launch with a standard deep link. If the app is not installed, the App Clip will launch instead and can be used as a landing page while also passing the deep link to the app install without requesting attribution results.
How deferred deep linking will work with App Clips:
- User clicks a Universal Link hosted by Kochava and launches the App Clip immediately
- The deep link is surfaced within the App Clip
- The App Clip can act immediately on the deep link, or could present the option to download the app, much like a landing page
- If the user goes on to download the app from the App Clip, the App Clip can share the original deep link directly with the downloaded app.
App Clips create a simple and convenient experience for your users with iOS devices. For more information on App Clips please visit Apple App Clips documentation.